Should you be alarmed when mushrooms grow on the base of your tree? Well, it depends on the type. Most mushrooms are harmless and are not a cause for alarm. However, we wanted to discuss one species of mushrooms called the honey fungus. This variety is bad news, and you must take remediation steps if you spot them on your tree.
The Honey Fungus
The honey fungus is known for attacking tree roots and eating away at the wood and bark. This drastically weakens the tree’s base so it might give way and topple over. When our emergency tree service team removes decaying and dead trees, they often spot remnants of honey mushroom growth.
The fungus often grows on oak and birch trees, both of which are common here in the Lake Stevens area. They also grow around fruit trees and hedge plants.
What Does the Honey Fungus Look Like?
The stem is distinct for its whitish ring. The top is also usually flat rather than dome-shaped when fully grown. Inflicted trees may also exhibit unusually small and pale leaves.
The mushroom grows in clusters which have a distinctively sweet scent, hence the name. In case you’re wondering, this mushroom is generally considered edible as long as it’s thoroughly cooked. With that in mind, however, we highly caution against eating any mushroom growing off the base of your tree.
How to Avoid Them
Discourage honey fungus growth by adhering to the following:
- Bring in a tree removal service to remove dead and diseased branches
- Prevent moist conditions by not over watering trees
- Address existing root damage caused by lawn equipment or pests
We’ll Prevent Fungus Growth on Your Tree
Edited by Justin Vorhees
Tree Inspection for Fungus Growth Prevention
Serving customers in Lake Stevens, Edmonds, Marysville, Mukilteo, Lynnwood, Everett, Snohomish and the surrounding area